Skip to main content

Fuel for the Fire


Good morning. And thank you all for coming. 

Yesterday we met with our "preaching circles" for the first time. And one of the questions that were asked by my leader was "why are you here?". I myself am here for several reasons, a few being that I want to learn, to sharpen my craft, to network. 

But truth be told: I am tired. And I need to be refilled. Maybe it's senioritis, maybe I'm calloused, dishearted bc of the lack of sown seed being reaped on my mission field- I mean my college.

As long as I'm being honest, I'll be preaching to the mirror just as much as I'll be preaching to y'all this morning. And I sincerely pray it's an encouragement to all of us. 

So let's dive into the text

(READ Psalm 13)

Historians don't actually know when or why David wrote this psalm, all attempts to date it are but guesses. But whenever he wrote it, the reason why he wrote it, appears to be that he was seriously ill. 

I think it sweet that this info is currently hidden from us because, if we're honest, we might often feel like David in that God has somehow withdrawn himself from us. Like, we can’t feel his presence upon our lives anymore. 

We don’t know for sure why David felt this way or even when. But whatever the reason he felt as if God forsook him in his moment of need. So what kept David going in his discouragement? What was the fuel for his fire?

His faith in God & God's love. 

Let's break this one down: (Read 13:5a)

1) God’s love sustains us

“Unfailing” What a unique word. Who else’s love can we say that about? Our love? Psh, nope. Man’s love? No. But God’s love, God’s love is always there, ever-present in our lives. 

It always satisfies. It is the constant, the foundation of our faith, the pillar of our religion. What makes it so trustworthy?

The love by itself isn’t worth much at all. It is the giver of that love that makes it trustworthy. Love satisfies, no question. A heroin addict loves the heroine and the heroine indeed satisfies. Same goes for any drug. Same goes for any sin really. But it is not trustworthy, why? because it untimely is destroying them. Little by little.

The same way that sin destroys us little by little. A little compromise here and there and suddenly you no longer know who you are anymore, you have become so cold-hearted that you no longer desire the things of God-His love, His Spirit, His word none of it. 

It is God’s love we trust. His love frees us from our sin, heals us, restores us. His love for us fuels our love for Him. For it is a supreme, satisfying love. It is unfailing. 

And that's exactly what God and His love does to anyone and to us-heals and restores and sends- I almost want to say that's what Gods love does naturally but it's supernatural really. 

If someone has tasted Gods love they change, why? because it's real. its real! God loves you right now. from here to eternity. It is in this love- a love that never changes that is constant-that we trust. God's word said it and that's final.

As we can see in the text God’s love turns our prayers into praises just like He did for David. And in just a few short verses no less. That’s the power of prayer, the power of faith, faith in God’s love. That is God’s love for us. 

Now here's the next thing of God I see in our text for us and that's: 

2) God’s salvation sustains us

David continues “my heart rejoices in your salvation”. 

How many of us can say that honestly? David is in serious distress but yet his heart still rejoices in God’s salvation. And he hasn’t even seen the completed plan for salvation in Jesus but yet he still rejoiced. How many of us can be in sickness, distress, uncertainly, school, and still have joy in God?

Maybe this is a better question: Where is our Joy? In God and according to this verse In God’s salvation. 

What, or rather who is God’s salvation? Jesus-His Hebrew name: Yashua-literally meaning God saves or God is salvation. We have been brought by Jesus' blood, we are free from sin and are a new creation. 

Brought by Jesus blood, kept by his blood and make like him by his blood. It is by the blood we have forgiveness of sins and have free access to the Father who loves us, gives us salvation, by Jesus we have access to God’s goodness-Jesus being the ultimate expression of God’s goodness. Let our hearts rejoice in the risen King, the anchor of our souls. 

I know some of us here may not rejoice that much, or often as we should. I know this because I’m one of them. we are sometimes quick to run out of fuel for our fire. We sin, we stumble, we fail and have a “woe is me” attitude thinking maybe if I’m sad, depressed enough over my sin then God will forgive me. 

Beloved God has already forgiven us in Jesus. Yes, there is absolutely a place for Godly sorrow, but earthly regret does us no good and, as Paul says earthy sorrow leads to death. And beloved, we are in the business of life and joy, not death. 

Even after we have sinned we rejoice knowing that we are forgiven and act in accordance with that love, that grace expressed to us. 

We trust in His love and rejoice in his salvation bc we know that anything that comes against us is for our good. We have confidence in God’s love knowing that it’ll never change but always be there to full us, and out of his unfailing love springs forth His salvation for the Church and we rejoice in this knowing that Christ brought us and we can now love God and live for Him. 


3) God’s goodness sustains us 13:6

At this point, David begins to deal with the external, everything before this was internal-his trust, his heart. now we move to sing. But really this is broader than just singing, really it deals with any act of worship to God, IE our lives, our good deeds, our prayers not just *just* singing. 

Throughout these two verses, David has been speaking on the Lord’s goodness to him with His unfailing love and His salvation delivered to him. Likewise, This is what fuels our worship of God-His goodness. 

He is good not just bc of what He has done for us but bc of who He is. His unfailing love, His salvation are good yes. But those good gifts speak to the goodness of the giver. And the giver is worthy of all our praise. 

He is worthy of our worship, our lives, and our love. Singing is just a manifestation of that worthy-ness. Singing, moreover, worship has a way of renewing us, refueling us, uplifting our souls when we are low. 

And I don’t have a big theological answer as to why singing/worship has a way of refueling us but it does. And I wonder if it is because of its simplicity, the simplicity of just sitting and behold God-for all that He is, for all of His goodness that is shown to us. If not yet shown to us then it will be soon to come because God said it and that's good enough to hold fast to. 

Let's me finish with this thought to hopefully encourage you, if not now then maybe at a later time: The fuel for our fire is God’s love, His goodness. And His love is to be found in the worship of Him, the singing. Just like we said last night if we worship God is bound to show up. 

   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Verses on Faith

  Matthew 21:21-22 Jesus replied, "Truly I tell you if you have faith & do not doubt not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain,' go throw yourself into the sea,' & it will be done. 22 If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." Romans 4:18-21 Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed and so became the father of many nations, just as it has been said to him, "so shall your offspring be." 19 Without weakening in his faith, he faced fact that his body was as good as dead-since he was about 100 years old-& that Sarah's womb was also dead. 20 Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, 21 being fully persuaded that God had the power to do what he had promised. Romans 10:17 Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, & and the message hears through the word about Christ. 2 Corinthians 5:7 For we live by faith, not by sight. Ephesians 6:...

Verses on Strength

  Exodus 15:2 The Lord is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation. He is my God,& I will praise him, my father's God,& I will exalt him. 2 Samuel 22:31-33 31 as for God, his way is perfect: The Lord's word is flawless; he shields all who take refuge in him. 32 for who is God besides the Lord? & Who is the rock except our God? 33 it is God who arms me with strength and keeps my way secure. 1 Chronicles 16:26-27 For all the gods of the nations are idols, but the Lord made heavens. 27 splendor and majesty are before him; strength and joy are in his dwelling place. Psalm 18:1 I love you, Lord, my strength. Psalm 18:32-33 It is God who arms me with strength & keeps my way secure. 33 he makes my feet like the feet of a deer; he causes me to stand on the heights. Psalm 28:7 The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him,& he helps me. My heart leaps for joy, & with my song I will praise him. Psalm 73:26 My flesh and...

Verses on Shame

  Psalm 34:4-5 I sought the Lord, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears. 5 Those who look to him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame. Psalm 119:80 May my heart be blameless toward your decrees, that I may not be put to shame. Isaiah 45:17 But Israel will be saved by the Lord with an everlasting salvation; you will never be put to shame or disgraced, to ages everlasting. 1 Peter 2:6 For in Scripture it says: “See, I lay a stone in Zion, a chosen and precious cornerstone, and the one who trusts in him will never be put to shame.” Psalm 25:1-3 In you, Lord my God, I put my trust. 2 I trust in you; do not let me be put to shame, nor let my enemies triumph over me. 3 No one who hopes in you will ever be put to shame, but shame will come on those who are treacherous without cause. Romans 10:10-11 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. 11 As Scripture sa...