Skip to main content

Recommended Resources for the New Believer

Many of our young believers may struggle to read the Bible, attentively listen to the preaching of the word on Sunday service, or even attend Sunday service. This is an age of post-literacy within the world and, sadly, our churches. The absolute tragedy of this fact can not be understated; however, the Lord in His infinite wisdom has given us many great preachers and teachers to help us all grow in knowledge and wisdom and love of Him and His word. While we are in a post-literacy age perhaps we can counteract this tragedy and even grow in it. For those of you new to the faith, or struggling to grow in the grace of God (2 Peter 3:18), I recommend the following resources for your edification. As our Lord said, "Pay attention to what you hear..." (Mark 4:24). Most of what is recommended here I have listened to for quite some time and I can not understate the value and impact they have had on my life; I pray they be as important and special to you as they are to me. 

Please note, most of what is listed below are of the Reformed/Calvinist tradition. I am Calvinist, thus, most of what I will recommend is as well. Do not let this turn you away from listening and enjoying these resources. They are objectively some of the best, most biblical resources out there right now. And I pinky promise you, they will not scream in your face about Predestination and how all Semi-Pelgianists are going to straight to Hell. Though I might if you ask...if you're into that sort of thing. 


Websites:  
An Asterisk means that that website is also available as an app so you can download their content and listen on the go. 

  • Desiring God:
If there were ever a ministry that has covered every topic, big and small, to the Christian faith it is certainly John Piper's ministry Desiring God. 

  • *Ligonier Ministers: 
I miss R.C. Sproul greatly (I teared up while writing this) and I am forever grateful for his work in ministry. I would not be the man I am today without him. Listen, read, and be blessed by all that Ligonier Ministries has to offer you. 

  • *Grace to You:
I assure you this ministry lives up to their name; they are indeed a grace to me. The value of verse-by-verse preaching can not be understated and is vitally important to our day and age. Go and receive grace from God from Grace to You.

  • Logos:
Perhaps the most exhaustive resource on this list. Go and get lost in the wealth of knowledge they have to offer at Logos.

  • *SermonAudio:
One late night while speaking to my Sophmore roommate he pitched this resource to me when he said, "Who needs porn when you have SermonAudio?" A more true and faithful pitch has never been spoken to me. I particularly recommend, and enjoy, the following preachers available on this site: 

Podcasts:
Podcasts are my main method of listening and learning. I particularly recommend the Pocket Casts app for it's wonderful and easy to use interface as well as it's main features such as volume boost, silence trimmer, and your preferred speed choice at which to listen. Also, please note, most of the above Preachers are also available to listen to on the app as well; if you prefer to have most of your listening content all in one place. Should you choose to do this just type in the Preacher's full name and "on SermonAudio" and it should pop up. 

  1. 5 Minutes in Church History with Stephen Nichols
  2. Alpha and Omega Ministries 
  3. Ask Ligonier
  4. Ask Pastor John
  5. Behold Your God Podcast
  6. Core Christianity 
  7. The Death of Death Podcast (Please be sure to subscribe and listen to Episode 05: From Death to Life with Tristan Greth. You'll know why I say this when you listen).
  8. Doctrine and Devotion
  9. Expositor with Dr. Steven J. Lawson
  10. Guys with Bibles (Please be sure to subscribe and listen to their Ephesians Study 10. You'll know why I say this when you listen).
  11. John Piper Sermons
  12. Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary
  13. Renewing Your Mind with R. C. Sproul
  14. Sermon of the Day
  15. Simply Put
  16. Theocast
  17. Wayne Grudem's Systematic Theology
  18. White Horse Inn

Listen, learn, enjoy and grow dear beloved in Christ. Grace and peace to you all through the Lord. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Verses on Faith

  Matthew 21:21-22 Jesus replied, "Truly I tell you if you have faith & do not doubt not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain,' go throw yourself into the sea,' & it will be done. 22 If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." Romans 4:18-21 Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed and so became the father of many nations, just as it has been said to him, "so shall your offspring be." 19 Without weakening in his faith, he faced fact that his body was as good as dead-since he was about 100 years old-& that Sarah's womb was also dead. 20 Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, 21 being fully persuaded that God had the power to do what he had promised. Romans 10:17 Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, & and the message hears through the word about Christ. 2 Corinthians 5:7 For we live by faith, not by sight. Ephesians 6:...

Verses on Lying

  Proverbs 12:19 Truthful lips endure forever, but a lying tongue lasts only a moment. Proverbs 12:22 The Lord detests lying lips, but he delights in people who are trustworthy. Proverbs 26:28 A lying tongue hates those it hurts, and a flattering mouth works ruin. Proverbs 24:26 An honest answer is like a kiss on the lips. Proverbs 16:13 Kings take pleasure in honest lips; they value the one who speaks what is right. Proverbs 13:6 Righteousness guards the man of integrity, but wickedness overthrows the sinner. Psalm 86:11 Teach me your ways, Lord, that I may rely on your faithfulness; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name. Proverbs 11:3 The integrity of the upright guides them, but the unfaithful are destroyed by their duplicity. Psalm 41:12 In my integrity, you uphold me and set me in your presence forever. Ephesians 4:22-25 You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful...

Verses on Strength

  Exodus 15:2 The Lord is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation. He is my God,& I will praise him, my father's God,& I will exalt him. 2 Samuel 22:31-33 31 as for God, his way is perfect: The Lord's word is flawless; he shields all who take refuge in him. 32 for who is God besides the Lord? & Who is the rock except our God? 33 it is God who arms me with strength and keeps my way secure. 1 Chronicles 16:26-27 For all the gods of the nations are idols, but the Lord made heavens. 27 splendor and majesty are before him; strength and joy are in his dwelling place. Psalm 18:1 I love you, Lord, my strength. Psalm 18:32-33 It is God who arms me with strength & keeps my way secure. 33 he makes my feet like the feet of a deer; he causes me to stand on the heights. Psalm 28:7 The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him,& he helps me. My heart leaps for joy, & with my song I will praise him. Psalm 73:26 My flesh and...